We act for persons accused of various sexual offences from minor allegations of sexual touching of another person to rape. We have frequently acted for persons accused of the distribution of indecent images of children over the internet. These cases are always very sensitive and can often involve vulnerable child witnesses. On occasions the defendant is not someone who has been in contact with the criminal justice system previously.
All of our solicitors have experience of such cases. Steven Bird has built up an expertise in sexual offences especially in cases of rape, serious sexual abuse of children and internet child pornography.
An example of the type of cases we have dealt with recently include:-
- A student who was accused of raping a fellow student causing serious injuries. Our client denied the offence, the issue being consent and was acquitted at trial
- The alleged rape by four young men of a 15 year old girl in a town centre shopping arcade late at night. Our client was acquitted at trial, never having assaulted the girl at all
- Incitement by our client of another male to take and distribute indecent images of his own very young child.
- Sexual grooming of a young girl over the internet
- Successful appeal against conviction (where we had not acted at trial) of a man who had been convicted of a gang rape of a female at the home of one of his friends after a night's drinking
- Rape of a vulnerable woman with mental health problems having met her on a night bus. Our client was acquitted of rape but convicted of attempted rape.
- Rape of a deaf and dumb woman. Our client was originally convicted but we then dealt with the appeal and had the conviction overturned. A re-trial is imminent.
- A man acquitted of the alleged rape of his estranged wife during a separation pending divorce